Thursday, November 6, 2014

It's Been a Month?!

My, how time flies!  It doesn't feel like it's been a month since I last posted, but I often find myself forgetting what day of the week it is here lately because they're either flying by or crawling at the speed of tectonic plate shifts, so that's not surprising.

My son is settling into his schedule.  The only day he doesn't have an activity is Wednesday and I think he really enjoys not having to leave the house that day, even if he complains about having online work to do.  I'm happy with the variety of activities I found for him to do, there's been very little one-on-one tension between him and I so it's much easier for him to approach me for help and for me to give work the energy it needs.  I'm not quite there, but it's getting a little better every week and that's the best I can hope for.

He's happy with his karate class, a dojo closed in our sleepy rural town so the man who teaches the class in a space above a racquetball court has gained some new students.  Before this year there's only been one boy older than my son and he quit three years ago, so it's been more of a mentoring situation where my son's helping the younger kids.  He loves doing that, but I think it's good that there's an influx of older kids making things a bit more challenging.

Dance class hasn't gone so smoothly.  He pushed back very hard about being embarrassed by dance class, at which point I asked him if he'd stopped enjoying dance and he said no, so we've had more than one interesting conversation about how much he's willing to let other people's opinions decide what he is and isn't going to engage in.  It's interesting to watch him think about all of the ways people let others make their decisions for them.

Note:  I really need to remember to post things, this one's been sitting in 'draft' mode for quite a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment