Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Math Curriculum, Meltdown, and Our NOI

After much consideration, the choices were made for history and language arts (Time4Learning), science (Uzinggo), and vocabulary enhancement (Words and Their Stories), but my husband was waffling on math.  He's going to be doing a very focused program with our son because he's so convinced that he's terrible at math, so he's making the final decision about the math curriculum.  We know what doesn't work, Time4Learning and Uzinggo, not because they're bad but because they only offer one way to solve problems.  Little things like insisting that he use subtraction instead of adding a negative number really get under my son's skin and it isn't long before that frustration escalates to refusal and self-doubt, which then leads down the rabbit hole of anxiety.  In an effort to avoid that path, my husband is going to do math with my son on Sunday afternoons when they can sit down and do all of it together and frustrations can be nipped in the bud before they blossom into anything further.  He's going to try out the free trial of ThinkWell in the hopes that it will work for us.

An important lesson from last year is that we need to focus more on setting time aside to sit with my son while he works, at least until he gets into the swing of things, and probably afterward as well.  Last night he had a meltdown because he was worrying about homeschooling and in complete despair that he doesn't know what he's going to do with his life.  He remembers the days of his youth when he thought anything was possible and says that he realizes now that the world is just too big and scary.  When he spirals into such hopelessness and despair it's really hard for me to commiserate instead of telling him he's wrong, but we got through that meltdown and came out the other side with minimal after-effects.  Sometimes he can be off for a day or two after a big meltdown and falls back into that state much easier if we aren't careful.  Today he woke up unhappy that we had to leave the house, he really wanted to stay home, but he pulled it together and we did what we needed to do with minimal fussing.  It helps that he's totally immersed in listening to the audiobook of Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett, one of our family's very favorite authors.

Wee Free Men is not only hilarious, it handles issues that are pretty mature for a teen reader, and we've listened to it before in the car but it's been long enough that it's like new.  There are actually four books in the series that begins with Wee Free Men, the next of which is Hat Full of Sky, then Wintersmith, and finally I Shall Wear Midnight.  In getting the link for this post I discovered that there will be a fifth book in the series!  Terry Pratchett has been a prolific writer and I could go on and on about how much I love his work and which are my favorites, but I'll spare you (unless you'd like to know, if anyone asks I'll do so in the comments).  Listening to a great book seemed to be just what he needed to pick up his mood and we had a really good day.  This evening I told him how much he's maturing and that I noticed that he did what he needed to do to pull himself out of his funk and he smiled and thanked me for noticing.

When he melted down he was sobbing about how much he wished he was normal and it was very hard not to burst into tears, at times like that I sometimes struggle to keep my own optimism intact and can easily fall into listing all of the reasons normal doesn't matter, but what he really needed was for me to commiserate about how bad he was feeling and acknowledgement that sometimes things feel really huge and overwhelming and hopeless.  He sobbed for a few minutes and I hugged him, which reminded me how much he's grown because he's taller than I am, and then we were able to have a quiet conversation about the value of people who aren't considered normal and how boring the world would be if everyone was the same.  I'm going to do some work on optimism as part of his curriculum because I think he inherited his father's pragmatism, which can easily slip into pessimism, which my husband labels 'realism'.  A very wise man we know said that while 'realism' can feel safe and true, it doesn't allow room to experience things like joy or beauty, and I do my best to remind my son of that on the other side of times like these.

On another note, I'll be turning in our Notice of Intent (NOI) tomorrow or Wednesday, since it has to be turned in by the 15th.  There's great information about such things at the Organization of Virginia Homeschoolers.

Links:

Time4Learning - History and Language Arts

Uzinggo - Science

Words and Their Stories - Vocabulary Enhancement

ThinkWell Homeschool - They offer a seven day trial.

Terry Pratchett - A favorite author of our entire family.

Organization of Virginia Homeschooler's Information About NOI

No comments:

Post a Comment